|Special pages commemorating
50 years of Arab dispossession
since the creation of the
State of Israel
|Published in Cairo by AL-AHRAM established in 1875|
Continuing Exodus: 1968
They have just arrived in east Jordan, crossing the temporary bridge, near to the newly destroyed Allenby Bridge, from the Israeli-Occupied West Bank.
Despite military action in the Jordan valley, there was a continuing exodus of Palestinians, from the West Bank and Gaza Strip, that numbered between two and four thousand a month from the autumn of 1967 until the early summer of 1968.
The distances on the signboard, partially obscured, read "JERICHO 8 Km JERSLM 43 Km"
Photo by George Nemeh
Rations in the Desert
In the early 1950s, UNRWA used to deliver rations to Palestine refugees in remote areas of Jordan. Every three months, UNRWA convoys would drive out into the desert as here near Shobak. Refugees would come five miles from their homes to meet the convoy at an appointed bend on the road heading to Aqaba.
From 1948 until 1967, the Gaza Strip was administered by Egypt. The residence there were linked with the outside world by one narrow road through the 200 miles of Sinai desert to Cairo. Another exit was the Mediterranean Sea. Both links were cut off by the 1967 war.
This photo shows Palestinians leaving the Gaza Strip on small fishing boats.
|FOR PALESTINE REFUGEES
Since the first days of the exodus of Arab refugees, people found shelter
in the different convents around Bethlehem.
|Israeli Raids Bring Destruction to Refugee Camps in
Nabatiah, Ein el-Hilweh, Burj el-Shemali and Rashidieh are Palestine
refugee camps in south Lebanon for refugees who left their homes as a
result of the first Arab-Israeli hostilities in 1948. In May and June
of 1974, many of the 50,000 inhabitants of these four camps fled in terror
as their shelters were turned to rubble during a series of Israeli air
and sea attacks on south Lebanon in which 43 registered refugees were
killed and 101 were injured.
Photo by Jack Madvo
Dheisheh camp (pop. 8,600), West Bank, is one of 59 camps established
in the wake of the 1948 Arab-Israeli war to accommodate the thousands
of Palestinians in their exodus from Palestine.
Photo by Myrtle Winter-Chaumeny
Aqabat Jabr refugee camp: Jericho, West Bank
Every morning and evening these women go to fetch water from Elisha's
fountain for their families who live in the Palestine refugee camp at
Aqabat Jabr, which lies in the shadow of the near Jericho. Displaced
from their homes in Palestine in 1948, a large number of refugees stayed
here in the Jordan valley because there are many springs to provide them
with that precious commodity - water. Elisha's fountain provides water
for this camp, as it did for the ancient city of Jericho more than 6,000
A Street in Qalqilya
According to UNRWA's Annual Report, "In Qalqilya (near Nablus) and five other small frontier villages in the Latrun and Hebron areas, many houses were damaged or destroyed during the fighting or were subsequently demolished. The extent of the destruction varies from rather less than half the houses in Qalqilya to virtually total destruction in some of the smaller villages".
In the early years of UNRWA, the greater part of the Agency's resources
was devoted to relief services. Now it is devoted to education. The Agency
and the refugees themselves regard the education as the best means to
improve their conditions.
Photo by Z. Mazakian
Arab Refugees Return to West Bank of the Jordan: August 1967
In July 1967, Israel announced plans for the return of displaced Arabs to the West Bank. Half to three quarters of the 200,000 Arabs who fled to east Jordan following hostilities in June 1967 applied to return. By 1972, 40,000 Arabs were allowed back to the West Bank; but, only 3,000 of this number were UNRWA-registered refugees.
Photo by Myrtle Winter
Letter from the Editor
|WEEKLY ONLINE: www.ahram.org.eg/weekly
Updated every Saturday at 11.00 GMT, 2pm local time