13 - 19 July 2000
Issue No. 490
|Published in Cairo by AL-AHRAM established in 1875|
(photo: Sherif Sonbol)
PILLARS OF JUSTICE: In a radical departure from the traditional architectural style of most government buildings, the Supreme Constitutional Court dominates its surroundings on the east bank of Nile, contrasting as well with the high-rises that loom over the Corniche in Maadi.
The architects chose a Pharaonic temple as their inspiration, to evoke the quest for justice that was such a persistent theme in Ancient Egyptian thought. Visually, then, the edifice is designed to inspire an awe commensurate with the dignity of the law itself.
For the past decade, the Supreme Constitutional Court (founded in 1979), which hears cases contesting the constitutionality of legislation, has been continually in the spotlight itself, standing as it does for the independence and integrity of the judiciary. Like the courthouse, it has acquitted itself with the zeal of a true paragon.
Egypt Focus International Economy Opinion Interview Interview Culture Features Travel Living Sports Profile People Time Out Chronicles Cartoons Letters