Friday,15 December, 2017
Current issue | Issue 1168, (10 - 16 October 2013)
Friday,15 December, 2017
Issue 1168, (10 - 16 October 2013)

Ahram Weekly

Newsreel

Al-Ahram Weekly

Maspero remembered
MARKING the second anniversary of the Maspero massacre, political forces were scheduled to hold a press conference on Tuesday and stage a silent protest on Wednesday to mourn the victims and demand retribution for them.
The tragedy began with a peaceful march by thousands of Coptic and Muslim protesters on 9 October 2011 towards the state television headquarters at Maspero to demand equal rights for Egyptian Coptic Christians during the rule of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF). The demonstration turned into deadly clashes with the military police, leaving behind at least 25 protesters dead and 329 injured. Video footage filmed at Maspero shows military forces running over several protesters with armoured vehicles.
“Two years have passed since the massacre with no punishment or justice... no one was punished except poor soldiers who obey orders,” said the statement issued by the Socialist Popular Alliance, the Egyptian Social Democratic Party, the 6 April Democratic Front and the Youth for Justice and Freedom Movement.
The statement also demanded the trial of the former leaders of the SCAF who came to power following the ouster of Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
Only three soldiers were convicted of manslaughter for the killing of protesters in September 2012. The verdict was widely criticised as all investigations were led by the military.
On the first anniversary of the tragic event last year, a report was issued by Amnesty International criticising Egyptian authorities for failing “to conduct a full, impartial and independent investigation into the circumstances of the violence and bring those responsible to account.”

Tamarod to run in elections
THE TAMAROD campaign (Rebel), the youth protest campaign that triggered a nationwide popular campaign demanding the ouster of Mohamed Morsi as president, decided to participate in the upcoming parliamentary elections.
“We decided to run in the parliamentary elections and support all patriotic revolutionary figures,” Hassan Shahin, a Tamarod spokesman, said during a press conference. “We don’t want to repeat the failed equation of the 2012 parliament and hence we will contest the legislative elections this time,” Shahin added.
The youth campaign was part of the political, youth and religious forces that demanded the military establishment to oust Morsi on 3 July. According to the roadmap, which was behind the suspension of the constitution and the appointment of interim President Adli Mansour, parliamentary and presidential elections should be held within nine months.
The campaign leaders have yet to take a decision regarding forming a political party.

First trip abroad
INTERIM President Adli Mansour was scheduled to meet with King Abdullah II of Jordan on Tuesday, marking the second country he visits since being appointed in July. Before arriving in Jordan, Mansour met King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia on Monday.
The interim president embarked on his trips with a delegation of high-level officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmi. Mansour’s Media Adviser Ahmed Al-Meslimani also travelled with the interim president for his two-stop visit that began in Jeddah on Monday.
According to presidential spokesman Ihab Al-Badawi, Mansour was scheduled to discuss bilateral political and economic relations with both Saudi Arabia and Jordan. Al-Badawi also said that Mansour and his delegation would “clarify and confirm” the “true image” of 30 June as a “popular corrective revolution” emanating from the 25 January Revolution.
In addition, Mansour also discussed potential economic support for Egypt with the Saudi leadership. During his trip to Jordan, Mansour was set to discuss bilateral relations with King Abdullah and issues facing the Egyptian community in Jordan.
Mansour will follow up his Saudi-Jordan trip with another set of visits to other countries soon, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, adding that one of those countries would be the United Arab Emirates.
Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the UAE were all quick to support the change in power that ousted former president Mohamed Morsi and to recognise the Egyptian interim government.

Renaissance tri-project
MINISTER of Irrigation and Water Resources Minister Mohamed Abdel-Muttalib described the statements issued by the Ethiopian prime minister on the Renaissance Dam as a positive step.
He underlined the necessity of maintaining the water interests of Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan.
Earlier, Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn said that the Renaissance Dam should be a tri-project between Ethiopia, Egypt and Sudan “because it will achieve goals for them instead of being a source of conflict and water wars”. Desalegn also said that Ethiopia considers the Renaissance Dam as a joint ownership.
In a press conference he held in Addis Ababa, Desalegn asserted that the greater volume of water goes from Ethiopia to the River Nile and that its people exists in the Nile Valley, so they have the right to utilise the Nile resource. He pointed out that Ethiopia can share its joint resources with each other in a way that would not harm any party. Egypt has asked Ethiopia to “turn her new situation into action”, through her commitment to implementing the recommendations of the international tri-commission about the Renaissance Dam in addition to agreeing about the mechanisms to fill the dam and run it.

add comment

  
 
 
  • follow us on