Tuesday,21 November, 2017
Current issue | Issue 1206, (17-23 July 2014)
Tuesday,21 November, 2017
Issue 1206, (17-23 July 2014)

Ahram Weekly

Newsreel

Al-Ahram Weekly

Qandil released

THE INTERIOR Ministry Prison Authority completed on Tuesday the procedures of releasing Hesham Qandil, the Morsi-era prime minister, after receiving an official notice from the general prosecution stating that Qandil is no longer facing charges. The release of Qandil took place within 48 hours of the Cassation Court accepting his appeal to reverse his one-year jail sentence. Qandil was reportedly released from the Dokki Police Station.

In September 2013, the Dokki Misdemeanour Court upheld a ruling sentencing Qandil to one year in prison and a fine of LE2000 for failing to implement an administrative court’s verdict ordering the re-nationalisation of the Tanta Flax and Oil Company. Qandil was appointed prime minster by former Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in August 2012 and remained in office until Morsi’s ouster on 3 July 2013. The prosecution explained that Qandil had failed to implement the administrative court’s verdict and thus prevented the workers from returning to their conditions prior to the privatisation process, as well as the invalidity of the company’s sale to the Saudi businessman Abdullah Kaki. A number of Tanta Flax and Oil Company workers had filed the lawsuit in question.


Facebook “terrorist” in custody

THE MATTARIYA Prosecution ordered on Tuesday the 15-day detention of a man pending investigation into his alleged creation of a Facebook page titled “Mattariya against the coup”, which incited violence against members of the police. The prosecution also accused the defendant of joining a terrorist group and attempting to topple the regime. Arrest warrants have been issued for three other people.

In January, the Ministry of Interior said it had begun arresting Internet users who utilised social media Websites to incite violence against the police or against citizens. The announcement was followed by the arrest of dozens of alleged Muslim Brotherhood members accused of administering Facebook pages that advocated terrorism against the state.

In December, the Brotherhood was labelled a terrorist organisation by the Egyptian government, who accused it of orchestrating attacks against the police and the army -- a designation upheld in court in February. Terrorist attacks against the army and police have killed hundreds of personnel since Morsi’s ouster. The Brotherhood denies any links to the violence.


Antiquities restored

TWO shipments of stolen Egyptian artefacts belonging to the ancient and Mameluk periods have been returned to Egypt, Nevine El-Aref reports. The first consists of eight wooden Islamic decorations stolen in 2008 from the pulpit of the Ghanim Al-Bahlawan Mosque in Al-Darb Al-Ahmar in Islamic Cairo. The Ghanim Al-Bahlawan Mosque, named after the Circassian Mameluk, was constructed in AD 1478 during the reign of Sultan Qait Bay. The decorative items depict geometric patterns embellished with ivory.

Ali Ahmed, the head of restoration at Egypt’s Antiquities Ministry, said the story started in 2012 when the Egyptian Embassy in Copenhagen reported that Denmark’s customs police had uncovered a package containing the stolen items, with investigations revealing that the package had been dispatched from the United States to Switzerland via Denmark. Egypt’s Antiquities Ministry then took all legal procedures to recover the items and filed a lawsuit to bring them back, said Ahmed. Two weeks ago a Danish court ruled that the artefacts must be returned to Egypt.

Meanwhile, an ancient Egyptian sarcophagus lid stolen in the aftermath of the 2011 Revolution from the French Mission galleries at the Saqqara Pyramids has also been returned. All the returned items are now at the Egyptian Museum for restoration and will be displayed in an exhibition of the retrieved antiquities.

add comment

  
 
 
  • follow us on